Person of Indian Origin (PIO) Card
LATEST NEWS: It has been decided to extend the date for submission of the application for registration as OCI cardholder by the erstwhile PIO cardholders till 30th June, 2017. The conversion of PIO cards into OCI cards will be done free-of-charge (gratis) for applications submitted until 30 June 2017.
The PIO Card scheme has been withdrawn vide Gazette Notification No.25024/9/2014F.I dated 09.01.2015. Henceforth, applicants may apply for OCI card ONLY, as PIO card scheme is no longer in existence.
The last date for submission of applications for registration as OCI cardholder in lieu of the PIO card online has been extended till 30 June, 2017. A separate online application form for submission of application for registration as OCI cardholder in lieu of PIO card is available in the website http://passport.gov.in/oci/capchaActionPIO.
All the existing PIO card holders are urged to apply urgently for conversion of PIO to OCI.
PIO to OCI Conversion Process
Complete the online registration & print the form. The photo/ signatures & documents must be uploaded.
Submit/Courier the completed application to High Commission along with the documents as per the PIO to OCI CHECKLIST
OCI card application takes 50 days to process.
Status can be checked online: http://passport.gov.in/oci/statusEnqury
[ Please use "Internet Explorer" or "Google Chrome" browser. Online registration is not compatible with "Apple Mac Safari" browser, I-pad etc ]
Important note: All applications must be submitted along with Original Passport and Original PIO card. In case you are unable to submit the passport, photocopy is also accepted. However, the original passport will be required at the time of issue of OCI. It is applicant’s responsibility to send original Passport for stamping when the OCI documents arrive from Delhi.
Status of application can be confirmed by checking the Status online at: http://passport.gov.in/oci/statusEnqury ).
Direct link for PIO to OCI Registration: http://passport.gov.in/oci/capchaActionPIO
PIO to OCI CHECKLIST: DOWNLOAD
Acknowledgement & Status Inquiry:
OCI Applications received with complete documentations will be acknowledged within 10-12 working days.
For Acknowledgement & Status Inquiry you will need your passport number and the 12 digit Registration number NZLW_ _ _ _ _ _17 at http://passport.gov.in/oci/statusEnqury
• Processing time will be 50 working days from the date of Acknowledgement.
• Your application may take longer if it is submitted without all required documentations.
• If there is any deficiency in the application/ uploaded documents/ photograph, the High Commission may return the application to the applicant. The applicant would then need to re-submit the application after completing/uploading the required documents.
• NO urgent service available for OCI application.
• PLEASE NOTE: This time frame is indicative only, process may take longer so we strictly advise DO NOT book ticket before getting OCI
• The height and width of the Applicant Photo must be equal in the square shape.
• Photo should have light colour background (not white).
• Photo should have front view of person’s head and shoulders showing the full face in the middle of the photograph.
• Photograph should not be stapled or signed.
• This High Commission has jurisdiction over New Zealand, Republic of Samoa and Niue.
• Application submitted at this High Commission cannot be transferred to any other Indian High Commission/Embassy/Mission/Post or FRRO.
• The applicants who are physically present in the JURISDICTION can apply for OCI at this High Commission. The applicants who are not present in the Jurisdiction of this High Commission, should contact the Indian Mission/Embassy/High Commission in their country of residence . This High Commission can not accept the application from outside its Jurisdiction.
Application with correct documentations can be couriered to:
High Commission of India
Ranchhod Tower, Level-2, 102-112, Lambton Quay,
Wellington-6011 PO Box:4045